Monday, September 29, 2014

Writer Profile - Phoenix Johnson

Phoenix Johnson is an Australian erotic romance writer. I interviewed her to learn more about her. She writes for Naughty Nights Press. Enjoy learning about her life and interests, and buy her books which are listed at the end along with where to find her on the web.

  1. Tell me about yourself, your life, where you grew up, schooling, etc.
I grew up in a tiny town of 1100 people, where it was safe to walk to primary school (we lived down the bottom of the hill, it was on the top, 3 houses away). I was teased relentlessly, so I wasn’t too fond of school most of the time, and by the time I was half-way through primary school, both of my older sisters had moved out of home, so I was pretty lonely. Some of those whom I thought were friends weren’t really friends. Yet I still had some sense of a happy childhood, so it wasn’t all that bad.

  1. How did you come to be a writer?
I always kind of have been, on and off, but it was through encouragement from my aunt and a celebrant that I got back to it this most recent time (in 2009).

  1. Do you think Bono is a pretentious twunt?
Hahaha that’s a new one. I do think so, sometimes, yes. Talented, passionate and smart, but yes, also often pretentious.

  1. Who are you influences as a writer? Favorite writers?
Who influences me: Stephen King (Eyes of the Dragon), Anne Bishop, Kim Faulks (awesome Aussie author), Cassandre Dayne (fellow NNP author), James Clemens. Favourite authors? Well, I’d have to say the same, plus a few more: Tolkien, Rowling, Martin Middleton, Fiona McIntosh… So many, really, it’s hard to narrow the list down. I’m passionate in my love of the books I enjoy.

  1. Which person(s) encouraged you the most as a writer?
Well there’s Gina (Kincade, owner of Naughty Nights Press), of course, who’s always there with a supportive word or kick up the backside as needed. And most of my fellow authors, obviously. Plus my family is all pretty supportive and interested. But I think the most supportive person has been my fiancĂ©; when he knows I’m in the zone, he’ll try to push me to the next word count goal, and the next… A good spur on.

  1. Do you like pizza?
Almost as much as I like chocolate and scotch (not together!). I particularly love Barbecue Meatlovers and chicken, ham and pineapple (Chicken Hawaiin we call it in Aus). Just so wonderfully yummy. Though duck is awesome on pizza. Seriously, try it.

  1. With or without anchovies?
Only seafood I accept on my pizzas is prawns. Oh jees yummy.

(Interviewer's note: doesn't anyone out there like anchovies?)

  1. What advice would you give an aspiring writer?
Well, besides the obvious “write, write, write,” the best piece of advice I ever got is one I’m happy to pass on: feel it. If you can feel it, then so will the reader. Don’t feel silly if you get upset, scared, aroused or laugh your butt off at your writing. That is a good thing!

  1. If you could be a color, which one would you be and why?
Easy: Black. Black is not emo or goth (though I do like goth styling). It holds all the colours at once. It is everything at once. Just as I am more than one persona at once. Mother, student, fiancĂ©e, writer, daughter, sister, cousin, aunt, friend… I’m never just one at a time. Black is not a single colour. Therefore it is me.

  1. Why did you choose to write erotic and do you have familial and friend support?
I didn’t choose it, my characters did. I had an inkling The Wolf in the Neighborhood would be a little spicy, since it starts with naked sunbathing. But it’s a fun, hot ride as an erotica writer. I do have support from those around me, as well, though my mother won’t read *those* scenes.

  1. Cats or dogs?
Horses *chuckles*. They’re my favourite, and I couldn’t pick between cats or dogs. They’re both wonderful animals.

  1. Name your favorite books that you've written.
While it’s not released yet, Persephone is my favourite. It’s a sweet fantasy, not like what I’ve written so far, but I put so much into the story that I can’t help but love her. She’s just scored a contract as well, so she will be published and others can fall for her.

  1. Where can we find you on the web?
I’m on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Goodreads, my own site, Authorgraph, Amazon Central, Authorsdb and many more places. I flit around. I’m even about to restart my blog, The Naughty Pages of The Phoenix!

  1. Thank you!

Links:
Twitter: @Phoenix_Johnson





2 comments: