Monday, November 27, 2017

What I Am Thankful For


Thursday, Nov. 23 was Thanksgiving in the United States. It's a holiday dedicated to when the Native Americans and American colonists broke bread together. It's a day of remembering what you are thankful for.

It's also a day of massive, bloat-worthy Triptophan turkey dinners, insane political talk from Crazy Uncle Joe at the dinner table, greedy shopping binges, and kids flushing their underwear down the toilet so that you have to pay the exorbitant Holiday fee to have a plumber unclog it. It's all about family get-togethers and good cheer in between two much pumpkin pie and copious amounts of cheap wine that loosens tongues.

I was hanging out on FARK, my favorite not-news social media aggregator, when I saw a post about "what are you thankful for today?" The comments included the usual snark like:

A couple hours ago my cat walked right up to my feet and immediately puked. I thanked her for missing my feet. But not my socks I left under my desk last night. Did make clean up easy.

My cat came up to me in bed and expressed displeasure of hosting 2 dogs by projectile vomiting on me. Intimacy, I am thankful for.

Health, familial stability, kindness and understanding. And all you assholes, I'm thankful y'all're here too.

I have weed.

I woke up again today. That was good.

Living in a country where I can buy one of those enormous containers of Utz cheese balls.

Most comments were sincere though, and they reminded me of what I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I don’t have to cook Thanksgiving dinner. If you're not American, have you ever seen a Thanksgiving dinner? There's a picture of it next to the word "gluttony" in the dictionary.

I also have weed.

I have good health and a husband who loves me very much.

I know better than to talk about religion and especially politics at the dinner table today or any other day for that matter.

My son is doing well. He has a job he loves but he needs to find his own place. He's working on that.

My husband is doing well. He's retiring in about two years. He's my soulmate. I don't know what I'd do without him.

My two blind cats. They love snuggles and petting and they keep me entertained.

I have the ability to write freely. I wish I were paid better but I have writing freedom lots of people don't have. I also get support for my writing from my family which I understand lots of writers don't have.

So on this Thanksgiving 2017, I wanted to write about what I was thankful for. I know I'm very fortunate, and I will not look a gift horse in the mouth. So now that the holiday season has started whether you live in or outside the U. S., get those lights lit and that tree up. Wrap those gifts. Enjoy the endless streams of Christmas music (or gouge your ears out with an ice pick, whichever applies). Seasonal affective disorder doesn't start for me until January so I'm going to enjoy this good mood while I can. Happy holidays, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment